Monday, August 15, marks the first day of classes for Orange County Schools. The National Safety Council has outlined some tips and reminders to make sure students, teachers and parents alike are safe during the school year.
Drivers should use extra caution while school is in session. Keep the following safety tips in mind during the school year:
- Don’t block the crosswalk when stopped at red light or waiting to make a turn.
- Always stop for a school patrol officer or crossing guard.
- Don’t honk or rev your engine, even if you have the right of way.
- Never pass a vehicle that is stopped for pedestrians.
- Plan for increased traffic along your route.
As a bike-friendly city, it is important to remember these tips for ensuring a safe ride:
- Get acquainted with traffic laws; cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists.
- Ride in single-file in the direction of traffic, watch for opening car doors and other hazards.
- Use hand signals when turning and use extra caution at intersections.
- Before entering traffic, always look left, right and left again.
- Make sure your bike is equipped with reflectors on the rear, front, pedals and stokes. A horn or
bell and a rear-view mirror is also recommended.
Have a safe and enjoyable school year and click here for more back to school safety tips.
- Spanish -