ORLANDO (CityofOrlando.net) – The Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center is a community center in Parramore. In 1895, the first school for African Americans was built in the area and later became known as the Johnson Academy.
Because of increased enrollment, the building was moved to the corner of Parramore Avenue and Washington Street and was renamed Jones High School. This once school was renovated and dedicated as the Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center in 1987.
Today the Dr. J.B. Callahan Center is the cornerstone of the Parramore community and provides a variety of programs and events for citizens of all ages.
Dr. Jerry B. Callahan was born on a family owned plantation in Abbeyville County, South Carolina on December 9, 1883. Dr. Callahan moved to Orlando from Daytona Beach in 1908 after earning a medical degree from Shaw University. Dr. Callahan was the first black doctor to open a medical practice in Orlando; he was also the first African American doctor to practice surgery at Orange General Hospital which is today known as Orlando Regional Healthcare.
Dr. Callahan’s home and physicians’ office were on the corner of Parramore and Church Street where he practiced medicine until his death in 1947. Dr. Callahan was a member of the Orange County Medical Society and an active member of his Baptist Church.
Dr. J.B. Callahan Neighborhood Center
101 North Parramore Avenue