ORLANDO (CityofOrlando.net) – Located on Bruton Boulevard, the Dr. James R. Smith Neighborhood Center has been part of the Orlando community for 31 years.
Built in 1983, the center was completely renovated for the community with the addition of a second wing in 1996.
This recreation center is named after the late Dr. James R. Smith, who was the first black physician in Orlando to establish a maternity clinic for black women. He also founded the Washington Shores Association for Recreation, a non-profit organization that provides similar programs and activities offered by the Smith Neighborhood Center today.
The Smith Neighborhood Center now serves as an active neighborhood center with numerous amenities and programs for the entire community.
Dr. James R. Smith Neighborhood Center
1723 Bruton Boulevard