Halloween poses potential risks to residents and their families every year. The Orlando Fire Department has some safety tips that will make sure that children and families have a safe, fun and spooky Halloween this year.
- Do not choose costumes with long, billowing or trailing fabric.
- If your child is wearing a mask, make sure they are able to see through the eye holes.
- Provide children with glow sticks or reflective tape as part of the costume.
- Keep any dried flowers or crepe paper away from flames and heat sources as they are highly flammable.
- Use battery operated candles inside Jack-o-Lanterns instead of real candles.
- Make sure decorations do not block escape routes.
- Keep all matches and lighters out of children’s reach.
- Only eat factory-wrapped candies and examine all treats for any tampering or choking hazards.
- Walk only on sidewalks and only cross the street at crosswalks.
- Keep distractions to a minimum! Do not let your cell phone keep you from safe trick-or-treating.
- Do not assume the right of way. Wait until vehicles have come to a complete stop before crossing.
For more information on how to keep safe during Halloween contact the Orlando Fire Department at 407.246.3128.