In 1997, the Florida Legislature created the Urban Job Tax Credit Program (UJTCP) to encourage the creation of jobs in urban areas of the State. The UJTCP provides tax credits to eligible businesses that are located within the one of the 13 urban areas designated by the State of Florida Department of Economic Opportunity (DEO). This credit ranges from $500 to $2,000 per qualified job and can be taken against the Florida Corporate Income Tax or the Florida Sales and Use Tax. A total of $5 million of tax credits may be approved under the UJTCP each calendar year.
- May include sole proprietorships, partnership or corporations
- Must be relocating to, or physically located within, the City of Orlando’s designated UJTCP area
- Must have created or relocated 10 new jobs to the designated UJTCP area
- Existing businesses must create five additional jobs in the designated UJTCP area
- • Must be predominately engaged in, or headquarters for activities classified in one of the following Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) Codes:
- 01-09 Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing
- 20-39 Manufacturing
- 52-57 Retail
- 59 Miscellaneous Retail
- 70 Hotel or Lodging
- 422 Public Warehousing or Storage
- 7391 Research and Development
- 7812 Motion Picture and Video Tape Production
- 7819 Services Allied to Motion Picture Production
- 7992 Public Golf Course
- 7996 Amusement Park
- 000 Call Center
- Once the application is approved by the State of Florida, the business will claim the credit through the State of Florida Department of Revenue.
- Credits may be used against either the Florida Corporate Income Tax or the Sales and Use Tax.
- The business claims the credit via a line item on its corporate income tax form.
- If taken against the Sales and Use Tax, the Department of Revenue sends a credit memorandum indicating the amount of the tax credit approved.
- This memorandum is submitted when the business files its monthly Sales and Use Tax return.
For more information, please contact Business Assistance at 407.246.2821.