PARRAMORE COMPREHENSIVE NEIGHBORHOOD PLAN
Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan
The Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan was developed as part of a US HUD Sustainable Communities Regional Planning Grant. The East Central Florida Regional Planning Council (ECFRPC), on behalf of twenty-six (26) partners that comprise the East Central Florida Sustainable Communities Consortium, was awarded $2.4 million from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to plan for sustainable, transit-oriented development around SunRail station locations. The majority of the grant funds were passed directly to local governments with special emphasis on promoting sustainable and inclusive growth, particularly in minority and/or low-income neighborhoods adjacent to several of the SunRail stations. The overall process has been branded “Enhance Central Florida”.
The Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan (the Plan) focuses on creating a healthy, sustainable and vibrant community that prepares for the future while preserving, enhancing, and celebrating the culture and heritage of Parramore. The Plan is an integral component of the Project DTO – Advancing Downtown Orlando initiative, and is also an important continuation and further refinement of the Pathways for Parramore initiative.
Through numerous community forums and extensive public engagement, the following Ten Healthy Community Design Principles were established and endorsed:
- Drive Economic Development by Creating a Unique Identity
- Improve Access to Job Opportunities
- Promote Social & Environmental Justice
- Increase Housing Opportunities
- Make Education the Cornerstone of Revitalization
- Empower Champions for a Healthy Community
- Promote Access to Healthy Food
- Invest in People, not Cars
- Maximize the Opportunity for All Residents to get Physical Activity
- Encourage Mixed Use Development
The Plan contains the community’s vision for their neighborhoods based on the above-mentioned Healthy Community Design principles, and provides strategies along with short, mid– and long–term action items for improving economic and job growth, community health, transportation options, housing, education and infill development. These strategies and action items are described in full detail in the Executive Summary and Action Plan.
The Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan has won the following prestigious awards:
- American Planning Association (APA) – Florida Chapter Award of Excellence in the Neighborhood Planning category (presented in September 2015)
- Florida Redevelopment Association Roy Kenzie Award for “Planning Studies” (presented in October 2015)
- International Development Association (IDA) Downtown Achievement Awards – Certificate of Merit in the “Planning” category (presented in October 2017)
Below, find a series of documents showing the details of the Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan:
- Presentation to MPB: Plan Implementation – May 16, 2017
- City Council Workshop Presentation – January 26, 2015
- Final Parramore Plan Document – Accepted by City Council January 26, 2015
- Appendix A – Existing Conditions Analysis
- Appendix B – Analysis of Previous Planning Initiatives
- Appendix C – Detailed Infrastructure Analysis
- Appendix D – Walk Audit Report
- Appendix E – Market and Financial Analysis Report
- Appendix F – PIP and Documentation [note: 52 MB PDF]
- Appendix G – Future Traffic Analysis
- Appendix H – HCD Measures & Indicators Matrix
The work that provided the basis for this publication was supported by funding under an award with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The substance and findings of the work are dedicated to the public. The author and publisher are solely responsible for the accuracy of the statements and interpretations contained in this publication. Such interpretations do not necessarily reflect the views of the Government.