Registered lobbyists must submit a signed statement, executed under oath, on or before February 1 and August 1 of each year, to the City Clerk’s office. The statement must list all lobbying expenditures involving City Council, staff decision makers, and/or City boards for the preceding six month period (January- June, July-December). The statement must also include the source of the funds and an itemized amount expended for each member of City Council, staff decision makers, and/or board members. Lobbyists who have incurred no City lobbying expenses during the preceding period shall not be required to file a report. It is the responsibility of the lobbyist to obtain this form from the City Clerk’s Office. The City Clerk maintains such filings, which are available and open for public inspection. Lobbyists who fail to file reports on or before the due date, in addition to other possible penalties, will not be permitted to engage in any lobbying activity until their reports are current.
The following categories of persons shall be exempt from the registration and reporting requirements set forth in paragraph three of this section:
- Employees or representatives of any federal, state, county, municipal or independent authority discussing the business of their government or authority
- An elected official or government employee acting in his official capacity or in connection with his job responsibilities
- Law enforcement personnel conducting an active investigation
- Persons or representatives of organizations contacted by the City Council member when such contact is initiated by the member
- A person who appears under compulsion or subpoena by the City Council, Board or staff member of a board
- Any person in contractual privity with the City who appears only in his or her official contractual capacity
Violation of any provision of this section shall be punishable as provided in section 1.08, Orlando City Code. Failure of any lobbyist to comply with the provisions of this section shall not in any way affect the validity of any action taken by City Council or any City official.