Hurricane Season is Here
Hurricane Season is from June 1, 2018 – November 30, 2018 and with it comes the stress on how to be prepared and what works and does not while getting prepared. Here are some facts and myths about hurricanes.
Here 5 Facts that may surprise you about hurricanes:
- A typical year has 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. (NOAA)
- Hurricane Charley was the strongest hurricane to hit Florida, followed by Hurricane Andrew.
- More storms hit Florida than any other state.
- Frequently, the right side of a hurricane is the most dangerous.
- Hurricane Patricia is the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the western hemisphere.
- Taping your windows will prevent them from shattering.
- Fill your bathtub with water to drink.
- Trim your trees right before the storm, so you have less debris.
- Opening windows during a hurricane will equalize pressure.
- When untaped windows get hit with flying debris, they’re liable to shatter into a million tiny pieces and when taped windows are hit with debris, they break but into larger pieces. So skip the tape.
- Filling your bathtub with water is great for washing clothing or cleaning, but do not drink it as it could contain lead.
- It is too late to trim trees once a storm has been announced. Tree limbs and branches could be projectiles, instead look for dead branches and trim those away.
- Never open your windows during a hurricane. No house is airtight, so you do not have to worry about equalizing pressure.
Narcoossee Road Widening Project
These are posted as a courtesy only and could be subject to change.
For a detailed Project Overview on the 2018 Narcoossee Road Widening Project Click Here
New Images of Phase 2 of the Lake Nona Town Center
- Addition to the current Conway Road Special Plan Overlay District (LDC 2016-00161) to
- Include Smoke Shops as a prohibited use within the current Overlay District.
- Require all Food Trucks to be closed for business from the hours of 12:00 pm to 6:00 am.
- Increased emphasis on code enforcement penalties for violations associated with this property.
- Meet with OUC to determine if additional lighting can be added in the right-of-way near this location.
- Outreach to all neighboring apartment complex property managers to encourage them to join and participate in our OPD coordinated Crime Free Multi-Housing Program.
- Encourage area residents to call 911 when they witness suspicious activity.
- OPD outreach to area retail and grocery stores to offer assistance with crime prevention.
- Continued drive-through patrols at property site by OPD.
- Encourage area retailers continue their efforts to organize under the City’s “Main Street” program.
The Greater Orlando Aviation Authority has revised our Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Business Enterprise (SDVOBE) policy and program. These changes will reduce and streamline certification requirements and increase opportunities for Florida-based, Veteran-owned businesses. Highlights of the policy and program changes include:
1. The SDVOBE program has been changed to the Veteran Business Enterprise (VBE) program.
2. Florida-based, Veteran-own businesses with a certification from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or from the State of Florida Department of Management Services’ Office of Supplier Diversity (OSD) will be eligible to participate in GOAA’s VBE program.
3. To become an eligible GOAA VBE, VA/OSD-certified companies will only need to submit proof of their certification through GOAA’s online application portal to be added to GOAA’s VBE directory. To apply Click Here.
4. Veteran Business Enterprises may also be used to meet LDB participation goal requirements. On February 23, 2018 at 2 pm, GOAA’s Small Business Development Department will conduct a Veterans Outreach Event at Orlando Executive Airport to help in the following areas:
(a) identify Veteran-owned businesses interested in working with GOAA
(b) identify procurement opportunities for Veteran-owned businesses and
(c)provide information on our Small Business Programs to include details on how to be added to GOAA’s VBE directory.