Here 5 Facts that may surprise you about hurricanes:
- A typical year has 12 named storms, 6 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. (NOAA)
- Hurricane Charley was the strongest hurricane to hit Florida, followed by Hurricane Andrew.
- More storms hit Florida than any other state.
- Frequently, the right side of a hurricane is the most dangerous.
- Hurricane Patricia is the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the western hemisphere.
- Taping your windows will prevent them from shattering.
- Fill your bathtub with water to drink.
- Trim your trees right before the storm, so you have less debris.
- Opening windows during a hurricane will equalize pressure.
- When untaped windows get hit with flying debris, they’re liable to shatter into a million tiny pieces and when taped windows are hit with debris, they break but into larger pieces. So skip the tape.
- Filling your bathtub with water is great for washing clothing or cleaning, but do not drink it as it could contain lead.
- It is too late to trim trees once a storm has been announced. Tree limbs and branches could be projectiles, instead look for dead branches and trim those away.
- Never open your windows during a hurricane. No house is airtight, so you do not have to worry about equalizing pressure.