Neighborhood Leadership and Training
Mayor Dyer's Ninth Annual Neighborhood and
· I conducted an “Ask Your Mayor” workshop that was a big hit with the participants.
· I would like to take this opportunity to thank the following sponsors for their continued support of the Summit: In
1. Florida Hospital Orlando (Platinum cash sponsor)
2. Orlando Federal Credit Union (Gold cash sponsor)
3. OUC - The Reliable One (Silver cash sponsor)
4. Tupperware Brands Corporation (Silver cash & in kind for Community Builder and Neighborhood Champion award winners gift baskets)
5. Bright House Networks (Bronze cash sponsor)
6. FIRSTSERVICE Residential (Bronze cash sponsor)
7. Physicians United Plan (PUP) (Bronze cash sponsor)
8. Doubletree Hotel at the entrance to Universal Orlando (Platinum in-kind in space and food discount)
9. Towne Park (Gold in-kind/donated parking)
10. PepsiCo (Bronze in kind donated chip products)
· During the luncheon, I presented the 2013 Community Builder and Neighborhood Champion Awards. The Mayor’s Community Builder Award was presented to Dr. Ruth McKeefery volunteer virector for St. Luke’s United Methodist Church Orlando. The Mayor’s Neighborhood Champion Award was presented to Churchill Thompson
, a board member of the Rose Isle Neighborhood Association in District 3. Both recipients received a framed picture/plaque, a Tupperware gift basket valued at over $230 donated by Tupperware Brands Corporation and a one-night stay at the Doubletree Hotel by Hilton donated by the hotel. For the first time, I presented a Rising Star award to Maya Tharoo, who is a nine-year old volunteer at the Winnie Palmer Hospital in the NeoNatal Intensive Care Unit.
I created these awards because I wanted to recognize the contributions that neighborhood volunteers that are often unsung heroes that work hard to keep their neighborhood a great place to live.
Community Connections Workshops
The Community Connections Workshop Series is sponsored by the City of Orlando and Orange County Government to engage, inform and educate neighborhood leaders and volunteers about City and county services, best practices for operating successful associations, and engaging neighbors to ensure the livability of neighborhoods.
The workshops are free and normally held on the second Saturday of every month from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. at the Orange County Internal Operations Center (at 450 E. South Street, immediately west of Channel 9 TV Station). he workshops are a great opportunity for neighborhood leaders to interact and learn from one another.
Click here to see the 2014 workshop schedule.
Upcoming Workshop- March 8, 2014 - 9 a.m. to noon
This workshop will include learning how to set up an orientation process and an orientation notebook for new board members to understand their roles. There will be an opportunity to evaluate your organization for improvements and engage residents to take ownership of their neighborhood.
Neighborhood Resources for Your Association at Your Fingertips
The City’s Office of Communications and Neighborhood Relations offers a variety of training opportunities for neighborhood leaders and volunteers. We provide workshops, roundtable discussions and customized training sessions. Examples of the training we offer are:
Our professional staff will design customized workshops that address the specific needs, issues and concerns of a neighborhood organization.
For more information or to schedule a training session, please call the Office of Communications and Neighborhood Relations at 407.246.2169.
Neighborhoods USA (NUSA) has, since its inception, been committed to building and strengthening neighborhood organizations and promoting productive communications and collaborations between those associations and both the public and private sectors.
The organization has, for over thirty years, served these broad objectives by conducting an annual conference. This conference provides an opportunity for people from various communities throughout the United States to discuss the pressing issues of the times, share best practices and offer encouragement or assistance.