Florida “Winter” is almost over, so it’s time to start thinking about enjoying your pool and trips to the beach, and the best thing you can do to help your family stay safe is to enroll in age-appropriate swim lessons. The City of Orlando has partnered with the American Red Cross to provide classes for Water Babies, Pre-School, Youth and Adult, as well as Junior Life Guard Training.
As the warm weather approaches, please keep the following safety tips in mind when around water:
- Swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards, and always swim with a buddy; do not allow anyone to swim alone.
- Ensure that everyone in the family learns to swim well by enrolling in age-appropriate Red Cross Learn-to-Swim courses.
- Remember to never leave a young child unattended near water and do not trust a child’s life to another child.
- Teach children to always ask permission to go near water.
- Have young children or inexperienced swimmers wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets around water, and if you go boating, everyone in your party should wear a life jacket.
- Avoid alcohol use. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance and coordination; affects swimming and diving skills; and reduces the body’s ability to stay warm.
Continue practicing water safety even after your family has learned to swim:
- Actively supervise kids whenever around the water—even if lifeguards are present.
- Do not just drop your kids off at the public pool or leave them at the beach—designate a responsible adult to supervise.
- Remember to always stay within arm’s reach of young children and avoid distractions when supervising children around water.
- If a child is missing, check the water first, as seconds count in preventing death or disability.
- Make sure you and your children know how and when to call 9-1-1 in an emergency.
- A great addition to water safety preparedness includes taking first aid and CPR/AED courses to learn how to prevent and respond to emergencies.
Please visit aquatics to learn more and sign up for swim lessons. Call 407.246.4CPR (4277) or email handsonlyCPR@cityoforlando.net to sign up for a free 30-minute Take Heart Orlando Hands Only CPR class.