Taking climate action is one of greatest economic opportunities of the 21st century. Orlando is demonstrating leadership in the Southeast for making climate and energy investments that improve quality of life, reduce waste, and create economic development opportunities for businesses and citizens. On August 13th, Mayor Buddy Dyer’s Climate and Energy Summit will bring together national experts in climate action with more than 200 businesses, nonprofit, and public sector leaders to share best practices, lessons learned, and practical solutions to help achieve economic growth and a sustainable energy future.
- Convene fellow government, business and industry leaders to discuss business opportunities that address climate and energy goals for our city, region and State
- Share economic and quality of life benefits that City of Orlando has seen through taking climate action (i.e. GreenWorks Orlando)
- Learn from national experts on how Orlando and the State of Florida can join businesses and governments across the U.S. in achieving positive results from investing in sustainable energy
- Network with fellow government, business and industry leaders to ensure Orlando’s businesses and citizens achieve the economic and quality of life benefits from taking climate action
To view the final agenda and program, download the Climate & Energy Summit Program
To RSVP to the event, email: email@example.com
Green Works Orlando is a vision to transform Orlando into one of the most environmentally-friendly, economically and socially vibrant communities in the nation. Green Works Orlando represents our commitment to utilize the City’s regional leadership position to build partnerships and share resources that foster positive environmental changes. Over the past five years, the City has led by example, achieving more than $1 million in annual energy savings to promote environmental stewardship, educate people about “environmentally conscious lifestyles” and encourage others to incorporate a concern for the environment into the everyday workings of government and private business. Some of the initial successes under Green Works Orlando include:
- Expanded the Downtown LYMMO bus circulator and completed SunRail
- Launched car-sharing with bike-sharing arriving Summer 2014
- Completed eight LEED-certified municipal buildings, including the first newly constructed LEED-certified NBA arena in the country
- Performed energy efficiency retrofits to 1,200 houses
- Planted 10,000 trees and established four community gardens
- Adopted the 2012 Municipal Operations Sustainability Plan and the 2013 Green Works Community Action Plan
The ultimate beneficiaries of our work will be our children and grandchildren. We are continuing our efforts to guide Orlando on a course toward long-term sustainability. Working together, I know we can make a cleaner, greener and better Orlando for generations to come.