Green Works Orlando is a vision to transform Orlando into one of the most environmentally-friendly, economically and socially vibrant communities in the nation. Green Works Orlando represents our commitment to utilize the City’s regional leadership position to build partnerships and share resources that foster positive environmental changes.
Over the past five years, the City has led by example to promote environmental stewardship, educate people about “environmentally conscious lifestyles” and encourage others to incorporate a concern for the environment into the everyday workings of government and private business. Some of the initial successes under Green Works Orlando include:
- Achieving more than $1 million in annual energy savings
- Expanded the Downtown LYMMO bus circulator and completed SunRail
- Launched car-sharing with bike-sharing arriving Summer 2014
- Completed eight LEED-certified municipal buildings, including the first newly constructed LEED-certified NBA arena in the country
- Performed energy efficiency retrofits to 1,200 houses
- Planted 10,000 trees and established four community gardens
- Adopted the 2012 Municipal Operations Sustainability Plan and the 2013 Green Works Community Action Plan
The ultimate beneficiaries of our work will be our children and grandchildren. We are continuing our efforts to guide Orlando on a course toward long-term sustainability.
Working together, I know we can make a cleaner, greener and better Orlando for generations to come.