The revitalization of the Parramore Neighborhood has been a top priority for the City of Orlando since I took office in 2003. Through the Pathways for Parramore initiative launched in 2005, we have made significant strides in transforming the community block by block. The new Parramore Comprehensive Neighborhood Plan, which was adopted by City Council on January 26, identifies short term, mid term and long term goals that will be implemented over the next 20 years.
Over the past year, we worked with the community to create the plan. The result of the collaborative process is a plan that focuses on 10 big ideas that will help continue to resolve the challenges of this community and further pave the pathways for revitalization. Strategies include:
- Driving economic development by creating a unique identity
- Improving access to job opportunities
- Promoting social and environmental justice
- Increasing housing opportunities
- Making education the cornerstone of revitalization
- Empowering champions for a healthy community
- Promoting access to healthy food
- Investing in people, not cars
- Maximizing the opportunity for all residents to participate in wellness programs
- Encouraging mixed-use development
Through the Pathways for Parramore initiative we’ve helped lifelong renters own their first homes, restaurants and shops open and even attracted national corporate headquarters to invest in Parramore. Crime has been reduced by staggering numbers and youth initiatives are enjoying great success.
We believe that new plan will build on the successes of the Pathways for Parramore initiative and continue to further the vision for a healthy, sustainable and vibrant community for residents while preserving, enhancing and celebrating the culture and heritage of Parramore. To view the Parramore Neighborhood Comprehensive Plan City Council Workshop presentation, click here.