The Certification Unit has the responsibility of certifying and re-certifying Minority and/or Women-owned Business Enterprises as defined by Certification Board_Rule_111.1, and the City of Orlando’s Ordinance Chapter 57, Articles II & III of the City of Orlando Code, to participate in the M/WBE Program. Remember, you must be certified or recognized by the City of Orlando to participate in the M/WBE Program.
BENEFITS OF BECOMING CERTIFIED: Certification is a valuable tool for marketing your small business. Furthermore, it is free and does not require legal, financial or other paid professional assistance to complete the process. Other benefits include:
- Free Advertisement
- National and Local Referrals
- Each certified M/WBE’s profile is listed in our M/WBE Internet Database. Local, State and National firms and corporations regularly use our database and website as an invaluable source for locating certified minority and women vendors. The database can be accessed at cityoforlando.mwdbe.com/frontend/vendorsearchpublic.asp.
- Access to programs and services designed to help M/WBE’s grow
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: The following include some of the basic criteria used by the City of Orlando to evaluate eligibility for certification. This is only intended as a general overview. Please review Chapter 57 of the City of Orlando Code and the City of Orlando Certification Board Rules for complete certification requirements and procedures. If you have any questions or need clarification, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Be at least 51%-independently owned and controlled by qualified minorities or women
- Be a for profit business (non-profits cannot become certified) that has been operational for at least six (6) months prior to the submittal of the application
- Be independent of any other business entity or entities
- Provide the goods and services for which it is being certified
- Companies that require a professional license and/or a qualifying agent to perform their lines of business must be qualified by the registration of the women or minority owner(s)
Please take time to review the Certification Board Rules prior to submitting your application to ensure your firm meets the City of Orlando’s requirements for certification as a Minority/Women-owned Business Enterprise.
HOW TO BECOME CERTIFIED:
The process to apply for MBE/WBE certification with the City of Orlando involves 2 steps:
- Step 1: Create an account in our vendor management system cityoforlando.mwdbe.com/vendor/registration/vendorregistrationstart.asp
- Step 2: Fill in and submit, along with the documents required, an Electronic Certification Application cityoforlando.mwdbe.com/vendor/registration/vendorregistrationstart.asp
If additional assistance is needed in completing the application, sign up for the certification workshop. During this workshop clients have an opportunity to discuss the certification process in-depth, and ask additional questions. This free workshop is held the 2nd Monday of each month from 2-4 p.m. Please RSVP by calling the Disney Entrepreneur Center at 407.420.4848 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.