WHAT IS THE MBE FRAUD HOTLINE?
The City of Orlando’s MBE Fraud Hotline was created for the purpose of reporting violations of Chapter 57 of the City Code. The City of Orlando strives to create real and meaningful opportunities for M/W/DBE’s to grow and prosper in our local economy. Through the implementation of this hotline, the City hopes to prevent contractors from including certified M/W/DBE’s in bids or proposals without requesting, receiving or obtaining the MBE’s authorization to identify the MBE’s in proposals or bids; notifying the MBE of its inclusion; and actually using the MBE’s services to perform contracts.
In addition, the contractor may not pay the MBE solely for the use of its name in the bid or proposal.
HOW DO I CONTACT THE MBE FRAUD HOTLINE?
By Telephone: MBE FRAUD HOTLINE: 407.246.2MBE
By Email: email@example.com
WHAT SHOULD I REPORT TO THE MBE FRAUD HOTLINE?
Incidents you should report:
- A Certified MBE was listed in a bid or proposal without its permission.
- An MBE is offered payment for the sole usage of its City of Orlando issued MBE Certification Number in bid/solicitation documents.
- The certified MBE gave permission to be listed in the bid documents, but its services were not used to perform the contract. (For example, a prime contractor contacts a certified MBE. After negotiations, the MBE agrees to work as a subcontractor. The project/contract begins and the MBE, who has maintained contact with the prime contractor while waiting to begin its part of the project, learns that the prime or another contractor completed the work it was expecting to do).
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW WHEN CALLING THE HOTLINE?
To act on your allegation, we need you to provide as much identifying information as possible regarding the details of what occurred. The more you can tell us, the better chance we have of determining whether fraud has been committed. Your information should include the following:
- What project/bid/solicitation/RFP/contract number does the allegation involve?
- Who committed the fraud? (Include names and addresses and contact information of all businesses and individuals involved).
- Who is the M/W/DBE involved? (Include name, certification number, and contact information).
- What was the fraudulent act?
- Where did the fraud take place?
- When did it happen?
- How was the fraud committed?
- Who else has knowledge of the alleged fraud?
- Have you contacted anyone else concerning this issue?
WILL MY IDENTITY REMAIN CONFIDENTIAL?
In some instances, callers may believe that the disclosure of their identities may create problems or place them in danger. We will protect the identity of callers to the maximum extent allowed by law and only release identities to those officials who have a need to know.
MAY I REMAIN ANONYMOUS?
Yes, however, please keep in mind that your decision for anonymity may limit our ability to conduct a complete investigation.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF I MAKE A REPORT TO THE HOTLINE?
You will be contacted by our office to confirm that we received your report. After verifying the basic report information and validating that there has been a violation of criminal law or that a civil action should be initiated, the complaint/report will be referred to the appropriate City, State and Federal personnel.