Orlando, FL – June 20, 2017 – Today, the City of Orlando will begin carefully disassembling the confederate statue located in Lake Eola Park to be relocated within the confederate veterans section at Greenwood Cemetery.
In addition to the relocation, the City is engaging historians to develop and install an appropriate educational interpretive panel near the monument that would help to put the monument in proper historical context and serve as an educational tool for the Orlando community and future generations about this painful period in the country’s history.
Once disassembled, the City will build a base, reassemble and re-erect the statue. This process is expected to take approximately six weeks.
This would not be the first time the statue has been moved, as it was originally located on Magnolia Avenue before it was moved to Lake Eola Park in 1917.
Media Interview Opportunity Today:
Don Price, City of Orlando Greenwood Cemetery Sexton, will be available for interviews at 12:30 p.m. today at Greenwood Cemetery. Interested media must be at Greenwood no later than 12:30 p.m.
Greenwood Cemetery History
Greenwood Cemetery is host to four different separate military sections. These sections are: Confederate, Union, Spanish-American War and American Legion (Korea, Vietnam, World War I and World War II).
On December 7, 1893, City Council approved a 50 foot Confederate section to honor confederate veterans of the Civil War. The following year, council approved the same sized parcel for the Union veterans just west.
The first burial in the Confederate section took place in 1901 and there are 37 burials here.
Some of the Orlando veterans buried in this section are:
- Andrew Jackson Barber: He and his family founded the cattle and agricultural dynasty that covered a large part of Orange and Osceola County.
- Leslie C. Horn: 1901-1904 City Alderman (Council Member)
- O.P. Preston: Served as the City’s 2nd doctor. His office was built on a lake, his wife’s name was Jennie, and she was his Jewel. The lake is still known today as Lake Jennie Jewel.
- William Jewell: Served as City Alderman 1887, became City Attorney in 1895-1905, served as Mayor of Orlando 1908-1910. It was under his leadership that the motto “The City Beautiful” was coined.