Harvesting the Future
Purpose/Objective: Facilitate student learning of agricultural science and careers in science by being a guest lecturer in a container gardening course.
Location: select City of Orlando community centers
- Facilitate a lesson relating to the 4-H Junior Master Gardener curriculum
- Either create your own lesson or use one of our lesson plans
- Educate students in creating and caring for container gardens
- Teach the importance of a healthy nutritional lifestyle
- Lead special events that inspire interests in environmental science and agriculture.
- Reliable transportation
- Interest in working with elementary students
- Ability to teach and communicate clearly
- Willingness to learn new teaching skills and methods
- Agriculture and gardening knowledge a plus
- One class of 2-3 hours (includes prep work) during the semester.
Training/Support Provided: Volunteers will be provided with a comprehensive volunteer orientation and subsequent training through 4-H.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain valuable experience working with Orlando youth. Impact student’s community and empower them with the ability to make healthy choices.
- Inspire students to pursue various careers in science and agriculture.