Mayor Buddy’s Book Club
Each book, a new horizon
Supervisor: City of Orlando
Purpose/Objective: Increase reading comprehension in students throughout Orange County by recruiting students to participate in Mayor Buddy’s Book Club. Preparing students for success in future educational endeavors by focusing on increasing leisure time reading.
Location: Orange County Library System Branches, Orange County Schools, and community functions
Key Responsibilities: Volunteers will promote Mayor Buddy’s Book Club at various locations and community functions throughout Orlando.
- Reliable transportation
- Comfortable working with students 8-14 years old
- Strong communication skills
- 18 years of age or older
- Pass criminal background check
- Sporadic two-four hour sessions for a minimum commitment of one semester
- May – August, August – December or January – May
Training/Support Provided: Volunteers will be provided with a comprehensive volunteer training and orientation.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain valuable experience working with the Mayor Buddy’s Book Club.
- Increased awareness of the need for improved student literacy in Orange County.
- Impact their community and empower our youth with improved literacy skills.