Early literacy for a strong start
Lead Partner: Early Learning Coalition of Orange County
and Adult Literacy League
Kick-off: May 2011
Preschool Ambassadors’ goal is to help ensure that children are prepared to learn when they enter kindergarten, and that the skills they acquire in preschool will equip them with the ability to excel academically. We work personally with volunteers, child care providers, and community partners to guarantee that everyone has an enjoyable and successful experience.
Preschool Ambassadors aims to:
- Engage families in early literacy activities
- Increase pre-kindergarten enrollment
- Improve literacy instruction in pre-kindergarten centers
Preschool Ambassadors has three Volunteer Opportunities to meet these aims:
- Our Early Literacy Liaisons are instructing families on best practices and increasing early literacy activities at home through leading early literacy presentations and distributing literacy tool-kits
- Our VPK Outreach Representatives are educating families about free Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten programs and assist families with the enrollment process.
- Our Ready Readers visit day care centers and preschools and read to children for an hour each week in order to improve literacy instruction in pre-kindergarten centers.