Mayor Buddy’s Book Club
Each book, a new horizon
Lead Partner: Orange County Public Library System
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Reading Coach volunteer opportunities are open at various locations. All volunteers must attend a one-hour volunteer training session before starting. Contact 407.246.3507 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a volunteer training.
Purpose/Objective: Volunteer will increase student literacy with groups of students and prepare students for academic success by focusing on improving their reading comprehension. Students will be able to apply these skills to succeed in their coursework.
Location: Select OCPS Middle Schools, City of Orlando Community Centers and the Orlando Public Library.
Key Responsibilities: Facilitate a book club and offer reading encouragement to improve their reading comprehension.
- Reliable transportation
- Must be comfortable leading discussions and activities with a group of students
- Must be passionate about reading
- Must be comfortable working with students 8-14 years old
- Attend volunteer training and subsequent volunteer orientation
- Must be of 18 years of age and over
- Must pass criminal background check
- Bilingual Volunteers a plus
Time Commitment: Weekly session of one hour for a minimum of six weeks.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Volunteers will gain valuable experience working with Mayor Buddy’s Book Club.
- Volunteers will increase their awareness of the need for improved student literacy.
- Volunteers will be able to impact their community and empower local youth with improved literacy.