A demolition permit is required for the demolition of all structures. Click here for a Demolition application.
The application will require a notarized signature from the homeowner. Click here for an Updated Demo Permit Checklist .
Demolition permit applications may be submitted in person in the Permitting Services office – 400 S. Orange Avenue (1st floor) or emailed to DigitalPlans@CityOfOrlando.net. Please note, payment must still be made in person.
Once the demolition permit application is supplied, the applicant will be given a “Certification of Service Disconnect” form which is required to be completed and returned prior to issuance of the Demo Permit. An OUC Service Disconnect Request for Demolition form will be provided to the applicant. This should be completed and submitted to OUC.
Demolition permits may only be issued to licensed general contractors, licensed building contractors, licensed demolition contractors and property owners. A cash deposit or damage bond in the amount of $1,000 payable to the City of Orlando is required when the property owner wishes to pull his/her own permit for demolition.
The following information will need to be provided with the completed demolition permit application:
- Notice of Commencement (required if the proposed job exceeds $2,500)
- A Rodent Control Certificate by a pest control operator certified by the State of Florida to eradicate rodents (not required for burn-outs).
Appearance Review Board (ARB)
Please note that all demolitions proposed within the Downtown CRA are required to be reviewed and approved by the ARB for the post-demolition condition of the vacant land. Please contact the ARB coordinator, Doug Metzger, at 407.246.3414 for more information on this process.
Historic Preservation Board (HPB)
If your property is within a historic preservation district, the demolition will require a review and approval by the HPB. Fore more information, please contact Heather Hohman at 407.246.3416 or Richard Forbes at 407.246.3350.
Demolition permit fees for structures are based on the square footage of the structure. Demolition permit fees for other structures such as bridges and towers are based on the contract demolition cost. For specific fee information, please view the Commercial Development Fees.
In addition to the demolition permit fee, a $100 Sewer Disconnect Fee will be applied to the permit.
A cash deposit or damage bond in the amount of $1,000 payable to the City of Orlando is required when the property owner wishes to pull his/her own permit for demolition.
All fees for demolition permits are due at the time of application.
For Commercial Demolitions: In order to document existing sewer capacity for future impact fee credits on proposed demolition of commercial structures, an as-built floor plan showing existing fixtures is required. It is recommended that this is submitted with the demolition permit.
A separate Tree Removal Permit is required prior to issuance of the demolition permit for any trees being removed during demolition. For more information please call the City of Orlando Parks Division at 407.246.2283 or click here.
In the event that you are removing an underground tank, you must obtain approval from the following agencies:
- Septic Tank – Health Department – 201 S. Rosalind Avenue (1st floor), Orlando, Fl, 32801
- Hours of Operation: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m
- Contact: (407) 836.1400
- Any other underground tanks, Environmental Protection Division – 201 S. Rosalind Avenue (1st floor), Orlando, FL, 32801
- Demolition Permit (DEM)
- 1st Inspection – Pre Demo Inspection (525) – To be called in after all utility connections have been disconnected and secured in such a manner that no unsafe or unsanitary conditions shall exist during or after the demolition operations.
- Final Inspection (600) – To to be called in after all demolition work is completed.
- Engineering Permit (ENG) – Will be created and issued with the DEM permit Final Inspection (600).
- Building Permit (BLD) – If a fence permit is submitted and issued as part of the demolition (whether temporary or not), a Final Inspection (600) is required.
For more information on demolition permits, contact the Permitting Services Division at 407.246.2271.