We're testing a new way to do online services. Visit beta.orlando.gov - use it and tell us what you think!

Inspections FAQ’s


  1. Q. How do I schedule an inspection?

    A. To schedule/cancel an inspection and obtain inspection results, please call our Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, "PROMPT" at 407.246.4444 or use our online services. To schedule inspections, you will need the case/permit number, which is located in the upper right hand corner of your permit. You will also need the inspection code, which can be found on the inspection record card that was provided to you when your permit was issued. The cut-off time to schedule an inspection is 5 a.m. Inspection requests received after the cut-off time will be scheduled the next working day. For more information on using PROMPT, click here.

  2. Q. How do I pay for a re-inspection fee?

    A. You can pay in the following ways:

    1. Using a credit card through PROMPT
    2. Using a credit card though our online services
    3. Paying in person using a credit card, check (made to the City of Orlando) or cash

    We accept MasterCard, Visa or American Express credit cards only. All outstanding fees must be paid in full prior to requesting any inspections. Partial payments are disallowed and the maximum allowable charge is limited to $10,000.

  3. Q. Do I need an inspection before placing a concrete driveway on my property?

    A. Yes, an engineering inspection is required before placing a concrete driveway.

  4. Q. Is a final inspection required after new driveway has been constructed?

    A. Yes, a final inspection is required.

  5. Q. Do I need a deck inspection for a pool?

    A. Yes, your piping should be under pressure of 35 PSI at that time. Also the Electrical underground rough inspection needs to be completed. The deck and the drain should be in place ready for inspection. Termite treatment required if soil is disturbed within 1 foot of the principle structure.

  6. Q. Does the City of Orlando Accept Inspection Private Provider?

    A. Yes, click here for more information and the Private Provider form.

  7. Q. Do I need a dry-in inspection for a re-roof?

    A. Yes, two separate inspections are required for re-roofs: an exterior dry-in / in- progress (code 125) and a Final inspection (code 600).

  8. Q. What items do I need onsite when I call for an inspection on my building permit?

    A. An approved set of plans (and revisions), valid permit, permit card, a copy of the recorded Notice of Commencement and any engineering documents for that job must be on site. Permit must be posted and visible from the street and accessible to inspector.

  9. Q. When do I need to file a Notice of Commencement?

    A. The Notice of Commencement is required to be filed prior to work starting or delivery of materials. The owner or owner's agent (contractor) needs to file a copy of the recorded Notice of Commencement with the division prior to requesting the first inspection. For more information, click here, Notice of Commencement.

  10. Q. How do I request an after-hours inspection?

    A. Information on requesting after-hours inspections can be found here.

  11. Q. What are the hours of inspections?

    A. Our inspectors perform inspections Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. through 3:30 p.m.

  12. Q. How do I contact my inspector for a job-specific question?

    A. The inspector's name and the phone number are printed on the permit. Permitting Staff Directory contains phone numbers for all inspectors in the division. You can call the inspector and leave a message. The inspector will contact you within 24 hours. You can also call the PROMPT system and leave a message for the inspector to call you.

  13. Q. When will my permit expire?

    A. Work must begin and have an approved inspection within 6 months after issuance or the permit will expire. Once the permit is considered active, an approved inspection must be received within every 180 days to keep the permit from expiring.

  14. Q. What do I need before scheduling a final building inspection?

    A. You will need to have completed final mechanical, electrical, plumbing, engineering, fire and zoning inspections before scheduling a final building schedule.

  15. Q. How do I request a fire safety inspection for my building permit?

    A. All occupiable structures, except detached one- and two-family dwellings, will need an approved fire safety inspection prior to occupancy. You can request a code 150 fire final inspection on your building permit by using PROMPT or our online services. Where the structure contains associated fire permits for items such as fire suppression or fire alarm systems, the respective inspections for each fire permit must be requested concurrently with the fire final inspection.

  16. Q. How do I make application for pre-power?

    A. Pre-power is available on all new construction projects. The electrical contractor requests a pre-power inspection using PROMPT or our online services. After the inspection is approved, the field inspector notifies the power company. Job condition questions can be directed to the field inspector.

  17. Q. Is pre-power offered on single-family residential structure?

    A. Yes.

  18. Q. When do I need a low voltage electrical permit?

    A. As of October 1, 2003, low voltage electrical systems including, but not limited to, installation, alteration or modification of any telephone, cable, communication, fire alarm, access control, security and surveillance system will require an electrical permit. Effective August 1, 2005 low voltage inspections will no longer be handled separately from other electrical inspections. When scheduling electrical rough in, ceiling or final inspections, all low voltage permits for that project must be called in at the same time.

  19. Q. When is a gas meter required?

    A. Before a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is issued.