Colonialtown South, which was
designated a local Historic District in 2000, is generally located
south of Hillcrest Street, north of East Robinson, East of Shine
Avenue and West of Hampton Street.
The neighborhood developed over six decades through a series
of real estate boom and busts of the late 19th and early
earliest subdivision was platted in the area in 1883, but the
largest was developed and promoted by Carl Dann in 1913.
Dann was a prominent developer who platted some sixty
subdivisions in Orange County, including parts of college Park,
Dubsdread, Lake Lawsona and Lake Eola Heights.
In Colonialtown South, the majority
of residential construction occurred during the 1920’s Florida
Land Boom. Houses
generally were small to medium sized structures that were common for
the middle class. The
neighborhood experienced a second period of growth between the
Depression and the start of World War II.
The houses during this time were even smaller due to the
financial constraints of the period.
This neighborhood exemplifies these two periods of
South is one of the most intact neighborhoods in the City that
represents the final years of a traditional development pattern.
This type of development, which occurred over many years, was
typical until GI’s returning home from World War II created such a
demand for new housing that large suburban neighborhoods began to be
built all at once. These
new housing developments were most often built by one single builder
The Colonialtown South neighborhood
contains a distinctive collection of historic buildings, a majority
of which display formal styling.
The presence of buildings constructed in the popular styles
of the day, indicates awareness by residents and builders of the
significance of erecting buildings that reflected specific
historical and modern associations.
Certain styles, including the Bungalow and the Minimal
Traditional were thoroughly modern concepts in their eras.
Local builders and architects took design cues from the most
advanced designers of their day and concocted designs that were
appropriate for the Central Florida climate.
Builders and architects also looked back into history when
creating Colonial Revival, Mediterranean Revival, Mission, Prairie
and Tudor Revival houses for their clients in Colonialtown South.
The subdivision layouts, brick
streets, street trees and buildings of Colonialtown South are all
physical reminders of the cultural, economic, social and historic
heritage of the City of Orlando.
you make certain exterior changes to your property, a
of Appropriateness must first be issued by the Historic
Exterior changes that will minimally
impact the appearance of a structure such as re-roofing, fences,
paving and repair with matching materials can be expedited by
the Minor Review Committee of the Board in 2 to 10 days. Major
modifications that would significantly impact a property in the
district, such as alterations, additions, new construction,
relocation and demolition, require a hearing of the Board for
approval. Expect approximately seven weeks from the closing date
until the Certificate of Appropriateness is issued. The City
charges a $50 fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness.
are exceptions to these requirements. Approval does not have to be
obtained for landscaping; any change to the exterior that is not
subject to view from one or more public streets or parks; paint
color, roof color; and emergency repair that will not change the
1221 Ridgewood Street
1501 Harwood Street
1635 Concord Street
1636 Hillcrest Street
1637 Concord Street
1505 Livingston Street