Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
The most important element in helping OPD ensure your safety is you.
- Always be aware of your surroundings. If something doesn’t feel right – trust your instincts.
- Call law enforcement or reach out to mall security immediately and we will respond. See something, say something.
- Carry your purses and wallets on the front of your body to make it harder for pickpockets.
- Our mantra is, “If you see something, say something.” We can’t tell you how many crimes have been thwarted by citizens who saw something suspicious and brought it to our attention.
- Always lock the doors. Try to park in well-lit areas and never be afraid to ask for an escort to your car if you need one.
- Make sure your packages are stored securely in the trunk of your vehicle.
- If you are dropping off packages and you intend to continue shopping, consider moving your car to a different area of the lot.
Cyber Monday Shopping Safety
Online shopping is a convenient way to whittle down your holiday shopping list. But your holiday could be ruined by thieves who are also aware many of us shop online and typically case neighborhoods looking for packages on porches.
- If you are ordering online, make arrangements for alternate drop-off.
- Have your packages sent to your workplace, or to a neighbor’s house where someone is at home.
We offer an e-commerce exchange zone at Orlando Police Headquarters. These two spots in our visitor parking lot are set aside for e-commerce exchange.
- If you are buying or selling something online, please consider making the exchange here.
- Our lot is under video surveillance and is a well-lit and safe place to drop off or pick up goods.
- If someone doesn’t want to meet you at a police station for safe exchange, that should be a red flag.
This page available in: Spanish