Goal: Deliver courteous and professional police service to the citizens of Orlando.
Philosophy: The Orlando Police Department is committed to unbiased policing in all its encounters between police officers and citizens. OPD policy provides guidelines for officers to prevent biased policing (link to biased free policing policy) and reinforces procedures that maintain public confidence and trust through the provision of services in a fair and equitable fashion.
Procedure for Filing a complaint: If you feel an officer has acted improperly, there are two ways to make a complaint.
- A. If you would like to make a complaint to an officer’s supervisor, you may contact him/her directly at 321.235.5300.
- B. If you feel the complaint is too serious to be handled by the supervisor, you may contact our Internal Affairs Section at 407.246.2352, between the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Orlando Police Department, Attn: Internal Affairs
P.O. Box 913 Orlando, Florida 32802
Orlando Police Headquarters
Email to OPDInternalAffairs@CityofOrlando.net
- If you do not have access to a Notary Public, our investigators are able to notarize your Citizen Complaint Form at Orlando Police Headquarters at no cost.
Complaint Investigation Procedures:
- Depending upon the circumstances, the incident will either be handled by a supervisor, informally by an Internal Affairs investigator or formally by Internal Affairs.
- If the case is assigned to the officer’s supervisor for investigation, the supervisor will contact you in an attempt to resolve the situation.
- If the case is handled formally, an Internal Affairs investigator will complete a thorough report regarding the complaint.
- All formal investigative reports are reviewed by the employee’s chain of command for approval and recommendations. You will be informed of the case disposition by certified mail.
- The Citizens’ Police Review Board (CPRB) will review all formal case reports and notify the Chief of Police of its recommendations. You will be invited to attend and address the CPRB concerning your complaint.