32nd Annual National Night Out – Coming in 2015!
According to the National Association of Town Watch, National Night Out is…
“America’s Night Out Against Crime”, in 1984 began [as] an effort to promote involvement in crime prevention activities, police-community partnerships, neighborhood camaraderie and send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back. NATW’s National Night Out program culminates annually, on the first Tuesday of August.
The 31st Annual NNO events in Orlando were a great success! With nearly 300 events, the Orlando Police Department provided crime prevention training to every population group in the City. There was a 61% increase in the number of National Night Out events in the City of Orlando, with more than 63,000 residents participating.
For the 2014 events, six major goals were set for the events:
- Train teenagers on the dangers and warning signs of dating violence
- Ensure that women had a fighting chance at protecting themselves
- Make every resident aware that Neighborhood Watch is a successful crime prevention tool
- Provide senior citizens with opportunities to develop relationships with law enforcement and community agencies so that they are able to age safely in their own homes
- Offer free trainings that would allow more City residents to feel comfortable in saving lives through the use of Hands-Only CPR
- Develop allies for law enforcement through long term relationships
2014 NNO celebrations included:
- 26 NNO women’s self defense classes and a women’s self defense summit
- 7 NNO Goes To Summer Camp parties
- 3 NNO Kickoff parties
- 2 National Morning Out Senior Celebrations, including a Chief’s Helping One Senior at a Time (HOST) Breakfast
- 22 NNO Goes to Church parties
- 79 NNO block parties
- and many more other events
Thank you to our sponsors for the 2014 National Night Out in Orlando
View pictures from the various NNO 2014 events by checking out the City’s Flickr page.