The hiring process takes approximately 3 to 6 months. Each step in the process is contingent upon successful completion of the preceding step. Successful applicants must complete the following steps:
- Police Application
- Civil Service Exam
- Physical Assessment Test
- Criminal Justice Basic Ability Test
- Recruiting Interview
- Polygraph Exam
- Background Investigation
- Eligibility List
- Appointment with the Chief
- Post Physical Abilities Test
- Post Offer Polygraph Exam
- Medical Exam
- Psychological Exam
Civil Service Exam
The Civil Service Exam is a cumulative decision making evaluation based on scenarios, which includes a video, reading and writing component. Practice tests are available at ergopracticetests.com
Physical Assessment Test Requirements
1.5 Mile Run: Complete a 1.5 mile run in less than 16 minutes.
- Participants cannot use any iPods, MP3 players, etc.
- Walking is not permitted. If you walk, you will be disqualified.
Push-ups: Complete as many push-ups as you can in one minute
- Participant will start in the up, plank position. The plank position is defined as the legs and upper body being in a straight, linear line. Arms will be no more than shoulder width apart and feet must touch.
- Arms must be locked out in full extension in the up position.
- If the participant must rest, they will do so in the up, plank position.
- If any body part other than hands or feet touch the mat (knees, head, elbow, stomach, etc.), the exercise is finished.
Sit-ups: Complete as many sit-ups as you can in one minute.
- Participant will start with their knees bent, glutes, feet and back on the ground (partner can hold participant’s feet). Hands will be interlocked behind the head. Fingers must stay tightly interlocked behind the head at all times.
- Participant will move up with both elbows simultaneously touch both knees.
- Glutes and feet must remain on the floor at all times (no kipping).
- Shoulder blades must touch mat in the down position.
- The participant may rest, they must do so in the up position.
This page available in: Spanish