1. Lock all of your home’s entryways 24/7.
2. Deadbolt all exterior entrances.
3. Never hide keys outside of your home.
4. Adjust screws in the door track of your sliding glass door to limit clearance, and place a wooden dowel or broom handle in the door’s track. A sliding glass door is lifted into position when installed and easily lifted out if you are not careful.
5. Maintain the appearance of occupancy. Use automatic timers to turn lights on and off at different times, have a trusted neighbor pick up your mail and newspapers or put them on hold if you are away for more than a few days.
Did you know the Orlando Police Department offers free residential security surveys? Under this program, an officer will come out to your property and instruct you on how you can better safeguard your home. To schedule your free security survey, call 407.246.2369.
Be proactive about your neighborhood’s safety and start a Neighborhood Watch group.