As a proactive effort to keep our sanitary sewer lines functioning properly and efficiently, the city will be smoke testing to check for cracks in pipes, collapsed lines and other potential failures in the system. We will be forcing a non-toxic, non-staining and odorless smoke through our sanitary sewer pipes allowing us to detect where smoke is escaping.
Smoke should not enter your home or business. However, if it does, this means that you may have an issue with your sanitary sewer lines and it is suggested you call a plumber. The city will by making repairs to issues found in the public lines, but not in private lines. Inspectors from the city and our contractor will be in the area during testing if you have questions.
Where is this occurring?
- Testing has occurred throughout numerous neighborhoods, including Englewood, Audubon Park, and College Park.
When will this occur?
- The first round of testing begin on January, 16 2018 and is now complete. Future testing has not been scheduled yet.
Should I prepare my home for this?
- Prior to testing, please run water for a few seconds at each plumbing fixture (sinks, tubs, showers, etc.)
Are my family, business patrons, pets and plants safe?
- Yes. This process is completely safe. The smoke used is non-toxic, non-staining, and odorless. Any person, animal, or pet that comes in contact with this smoke will not be harmed.
Do I need to be home for this?
- No, you do not need to be home for this process.
What can I expect to see if smoke does enter my house?
- If smoke does enter your home, it will come from plumbing fixtures (toilets, showers, sinks, etc). The smoke will dissipate after 5-10 minutes
Who can I contact if I have questions before, during or after testing?
- You can contact City of Orlando Water Reclamation at 407.246.3824 or the City Contractor, USSI, at 1.888.645.9570 for questions or concerns.