Why Is Bike Parking Important?
Enhancing and promoting sustainable transportation is a pillar of the City of Orlando’s Green Works Initiative. Providing bicycle parking encourages people to use their bicycles as transportation. People are more likely to use a bike if they are provided convenient and secure parking at their destination.
For new development and redevelopment projects, bicycle parking must be provided in accordance with Land Development Code requirements. Locations and types of bike parking must be shown in building site plans and approved by the Transportation Department. Ensure that your bike racks are approved and well used by following the set guidelines.
Acceptable Bike Racks
There are multiple designs for bicycle racks produced by many manufacturers. Bike racks can be purchased as single units, with a capacity of 2 bikes (one on each side), or as multiple units, with a larger capacity. Only some designs have proven successful.
Features of a good bike rack include:
• Stable structure and permanent foundation that is securely anchored in the ground
• Support for an upright bicycle by its frame in two (2) places
• Design that prevents the bicycle from tipping over
• Ability to support a variety of bicycle sizes and frame shapes
• Space to secure the frame and one or both wheels to the rack
• Acceptable racks, like the “Hitch” and upside down “U” racks fit a variety of bicycle types
Choosing a Location
Location is an extremely important factor in the utility of a bike rack. The rack should be located in a safe and accessible space. Safe locations are:
• In full view
• Near pedestrian traffic, windows and/or well-lit areas
• Should be under cover to protect bikes from inclement weather
• Not obstructing pedestrian traffic
Accessible locations are:
• Between the road/path that cyclists use and the entrance of the building
• Not up stairs or large curbs, preferably near handicap accessible ramps
• Spacious enough to allow room for bikes of all shapes and sizes to use the racks
• Close to the main entrance cyclists use for the building
Weather protected bicycle parking is appealing to cyclists and is twice as likely to be used as exposed parking options.
Bicycle lockers inside parking garages are a desirable choice for cyclists.
Using the building design to add sheltered storage is a creative means to supply much needed parking options for cyclists.
Custom designs and “artistic” racks can also be used, provided they meet the performance criteria for bicycle racks. Some examples include: