Why Is Bike Parking Important?
The City of Orlando promotes bicycling as a mode of transportation
that is also environmentally friendly. Orlando is well suited for
bicycling and more people are using their bikes every day for commuting,
shopping, and general transportation. Enhancing and promoting
sustainable transportation is a pillar of the City of Orlando’s Green
Works Initiative. Providing bicycle parking encourages people to use
their bicycles as transportation. People are more likely to use a bike
if they are provided
convenient and secure parking at their destination.
For new development and redevelopment projects, bicycle parking must
be provided in accordance with Land Development Code requirements.
Locations and types of bike parking must be shown in building site plans
and approved by the Transportation Department. Ensure that your bike
racks are approved and well used by following these guidelines.
Acceptable Bike Racks
There are multiple designs for bicycle racks produced by many
manufacturers. Bike racks can be purchased as single units, with a
capacity of 2 bikes (one on each side), or as multiple units, with a
larger capacity. Only some designs have proven successful.
Features of a good bike rack include:
• Stable structure and permanent foundation that is securely
anchored in the ground
• Support for an upright bicycle by its frame in two (2) places
• Design that prevents the bicycle from tipping over
• Ability to support a variety of bicycle sizes and frame shapes
• Space to secure the frame and one or both wheels to the rack
Acceptable racks, like the “Hitch” and upside down “U” racks fit a
variety of bicycle types.
Choosing a Location
Location is an extremely important factor in the utility of a bike
rack. The rack should be located in a safe and accessible space. Safe
- In full view to maximize visibility
- Near pedestrian traffic, windows, and/or well-lit areas
- Under cover, to protect bikes from inclement weather
- Not obstructing pedestrian traffic
Accessible locations are:
- Between the road/path that cyclists use and the entrance of the
- Not up stairs or large curbs, preferably near handicap accessible
- Spacious enough to allow room for bikes of all shapes and sizes to use
- Close to the main entrance that cyclists use for the building
Weather protected bicycle parking is appealing to cyclists and is twice
as likely to be used as exposed parking options..
Bicycle lockers inside parking garages are a desirable choice for
Bike Rack Manufacturerss
There are many bicycle rack manufacturers who can supply high
quality racks that meet City of Olando specifications. Some websites for
bicycle rack manufacturers are provided below:
Custom designs and “artistic” racks can also be used, provided they meet
the performance criteria for bicycle racks. Some examples include::
Wednesday, June 13, 2012 02:17:41 PM